Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Gnashing of teeth! Rending of garments!

I lost my high scores! I may have accidentally hit the reset button inside the door, but the high score reset has happened twice now. Last winter, I noticed that the machine had trouble starting some mornings (especially if its been cold). The game seems slow (even the music seems slowed down) until it warms up (generally after a single game). I suspect the big capacitor on the power supply board may be failing.

I checked and replaced the motherboard batteries just in case (I have an external battery holder, but I haven't soldered it in yet--I'm leery of getting my shaky soldering hand anywhere near an irreplaceable motherboard). And I went looking for a 12000mf axial capacitor. I couldn't find one (I didn't look that hard because I'm not sure that's even the problem. And again, shaky soldering hand, irreplaceable circuit board)

But it isn't irreplaceable. I found a power supply replacement board from RottenDog Amusements. It was much cheaper than the stock boards I found on eBay, and it's new, not 20 years old.

So my next foray into the pinball guts will be the power supply board replacement. Stay tuned!

No comments: